Monday, July 3, 2017

An Unlikely Party 4: Katak, The Legend

          Callie and Rede left the town to head towards the predestinated meeting point. Neither of them had much to do in town besides trade a few items, so they figured they could head out early and have camp completely set up for when the rest of their party finally came around. It was nice and peaceful in the woods where they set up camp. Just another average, calm day of their travelling life often filled with interesting precarious moments. “How long has it been since we paired up?” Rede asked her while he worked on the tents.
          “Oh geez…” Calie looked over at him, “A few years at least from when you ‘hired’ me on.” She wasn’t in any of her large plate armor as they hadn’t any plans to be causing trouble anytime soon. Rede found it nice to see her in more form fitting clothes.
          Rede chuckled, “Turn out as stupid and boring as you first thought it was going to?” He teased her, “What was it you told me? It was probably a waste of time and a loss of money?”
          Calie shook her head at him, “You’re never gonna let me live that down are you?”
          “Oh hells no!” Rede immediately replied, “Only since you like it so much.”
          Calie rolled her eyes and got back to work, “To be fair, it was a pretty good waste of time the first few months. No one wants to hire just two people for a job normally.”
          “We got by well enough.”
          “Speak for yourself,” Calie scoffed, “I was about getting ready to ditch your sorry ass before we ran into Shade and Gorgos.”
          “Well, glad you didn’t.” Rede smiled at her, “This party would be lost without you.”
          Callie laughed, “Oh trust me, I know.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Walker had immediately left his friends behind and headed straight to the tavern. With a bit of luck the owner hadn’t changed in the past few years and still owed him. As Walker flung open the doors he was surprised to see just how busy it was in here, being as early in the day as it was. Shrugging to himself he walked to the bar and jumped up onto one of the stools. “Whiskey, straight.” He quickly ordered as he noticed the barkeep, pleased to see it was the same owner.
          “Right away, sir gnome-“ The barkeep stopped short as he saw Walker sitting in front of him. His eyes lit up and he walked over smiling to him, “Well I be damned! I didn’t think you’d ever come around these parts by now!”
          Walker chuckled, “Just passing through the area with my friends. Honestly surprised you remember me.”
          “I’d never forget the face of that gnome who saved my family, my tavern, my life.” He patted the bar in front of Walker, “Wait right here, sir, I’ve got something special in mind just for you.” The barkeep quickly ran down into his cellar before coming back out not long after with a large, dusty, auburn bottle that looked ages old. The barkeep set down the bottle and smiled widely, “I found this gem hidden quite well in a burnt down cabin a year after you helped me out.” He wiped off the dust from the label and turned it to face Walker.
          Walker’s mouth dropped wide open. Katak, The Legend. It was by far the rarest whiskey to ever grace the world. There was a multitude of different rumors on who and how these bottles were made, but the truth was that no one really knew. There was no brewery who could lay claim to it, and no family who claim its ancestry. It simply appeared from seemingly nowhere…and sold for exorbitant prices. Walker slowly shook his head, “You…you can’t. I don’t-“
          “Shhh.” The barkeep smiled at him, “I can, and I will.” He told Walker, “If you hadn’t spotted that my chest was a mimic I would have lost my life, and if not my life, it would have been the tavern followed by my wife, in which case I would have wished for it to be my life.” He paused for a few seconds, “They are my everything, lad, I’m not sure you understand, but-“
          Walker raised his hand silencing the barkeep. He closed his eyes and took a deep, pained breath, “No…I understand. And I would’ve paid the same.” He bit his cheek for a short second before swallowing heavily and opening back up his eyes while grabbing the neck of the bottle, “Thank you.”
          The barkeep looked down at the gnome with sorrowful eyes, “I’m sorry for-“
          Walker shook his head, “Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” He forced out a smirk, “Plus, I wouldn’t be so good at spotting mimics if not for that…” Walker sighed.
          The barkeep nodded at him, “Speaking of mimics…any luck finding one of the ones you were looking for?”
          Walker shook his head, “No...trails went cold weeks after I ran into you. Now I travel with some new friends living on a small hope I’ll run across them one day.”
          The barkeep beckoned for Walker to lean over for him to whisper in his ear, “Rumors got it that there’s a mimic in Castle Everclare with the human king, another one sneaking around in the elven red light city of Talama, and a third one way out in the trade capitol of Port Phishk.”
          Rede nodded at him, “Hmm…no guarantee any of them will be ones that I’m looking for, but it’s always worth a shot. I’ll ask if my party is up for hitting any of those places. Can find good merc work in any of them.”
          The barkeep leaned back, “Aye, you all could. Figured I’d do my part to help you on your vengeance quest.” He took a deep breath, “Anyways, shall you crack open that bottle?”
Walker smiled at him, “Pull out two glasses, at the very least you deserve a taste of it as well, my friend.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          The sky was painted with pinks and oranges by the setting sun once Shade and Gorgos came running into camp. “What the fuck?!” Rede screamed at them as Gorgos dropped down a pair of dead bodies behind hers and Shade’s tent.
          Shade laughed and gave Gorgos a high five, “Gorgos…you are a LIFE saver.” He patted her back smiling.
          “Okay…” Calie started to speak up with the tone of a disappointed mother, “We put up with quite a bit of weird…and frankly fucked up shit from you Shade…” She shook her head taking a deep breath, “Why do you have two dead bodies?”
Shade smiled and nodded politely at her, “Thank you for being civil about it.” She said flashing a glare over towards Rede, “I need some parts from their bodies for potion making. Live humans are better, but frowned upon even more. So I use recently deceased ones…it’s not like they need their parts anymore.”
          “What the hell potions do you need body parts for?!” Rede shouted at him.
          “Oh, so you won’t question it when I collect goblin ears for potions, but now that it’s a body of your own race you care? Huh?!?” Shade shouted right back.
          “That’s not!” Rede yelled in frustration, “It’s different!”
          Shade shook his head, “Racist.” She mumbled before responding, “Part of my success is no one else knowing many of my elaborate recipes for my concoctions. Even though you could never make any of these, I’m not about to break that trend now.”
          “Shade…” Calie shook her head, “Did you steal those bodies?”
          “Pffffft!” Shade blew her off, “Don’t worry about it so much! I’ll have taken what I needed from them in no time and will return them right back from where I got them in the middle of the night.”
          Calie brought her hands up to her face massaging her temples, “Oh dear gods Shade…we’re never going to be able to return to this town.”
          Shade shrugged at her, “And that’s a problem because…?” As both Calie and Rede looked at him  like he was an idiot she continued, “This town is small and honestly way out in the middle of nowhere. We’d probably only return here if we set out to return here anyways!”
          “On a principle level though!” Rede groaned at him, “You can’t just go stealing dead bodies!”
          “I’m just taking a few parts of theirs!” Shade tried to convince him, “It’s not!”
          “Guys!” Calie got their attention, “Guys…let’s just move on with life. Nothing we can do about it now Rede.”
          Rede grumbled to himself, “Fine…fine…but DON’T do this again.” He snapped at Shade.
          “Well, I won’t have to for quite some time after this. So you got a deal.” She faked a smile at Rede, “ No Walker yet?” He asked them.
          “Not yet, no.” Calie responded.
          “Hopefully he shows up soon, by far the best cook we got.” Shade took a deep breath, “Thanks for setting up camp guys, make’s our life much easier.”
          “Yea no problem.” Rede reluctantly spoke up, “We like setting up camp.”
          “Cuz you two had sex while doing so!” Walker’s voice caught everyone off guard as he walked into camp.
          “Did not!” Rede immediately called out.
          “I don’t know about that…” Shade teased him, “I’d believe-“
          “You got no room to tease, Shade.” Walker cut him off as well with a smirk, “Anyways, what’d’y’all want for dinner? I’m starving.”
          Calie quickly pulled out a huge hunk of cow meat before anyone could speak up, “Got this bad boy on sale today.”
          “Hmmm…” Walker eyed it over closely, “Yea yea…that should cook up quite nicely.” He quickly ran over to his tent and pulled out his foldable cooking set, setting it up over the fire that Calie and Rede had previously started. Rubbing his hands together quickly Walker licked his lips, “A-ha!” He called out and grabbed the meat from Calie, “Got a plan.”
          “So, Walker,” Rede spoke up, “You find anything exciting in town? Shade found two dead bodies for his potion making.”
          “Alchemy.” Shade snapped at him.
          Walker chuckled at them, “Not directly no…” He paused for a second, “Do we have an actual destination right now?”
          “Nah.” Calie told him, “Just wandering looking for work.”
          “Think we could head towards either Everclare, Talama, or Phishk?” He asked them.
          “Why…?” Shade asked.
          “Might be something of interest in all three of those places for me.” Walker admitted, “I would greatly appreciate it.”
          Rede sighed, “We aren’t going to Everclare, but unless anyone else had quarrels with one of the other cities, I see no reason as to why we can’t. We’ll find some good work in either of those.” Everyone else shook their heads at them “Well there we go! Guess we have a destination now, which one would you prefer?”
          Walker smiled at them, “Let’s hit up Talama. You all will have much more fun there and I can’t say I really want to return to Phishk.”
          “You come from there?” Calie asked him.
          “Yep!” Walker told her, “Spent most of my life there.”
          “Why don’t you want to return then…?”
          “Bad memories…”Walker grumbled, “Bad memories.”
          “I can respect that.” Shade nodded at him.
          “Anyways, it’ll be awhile before this meat’s all cooked up.” Walker told them as he slaved over it, “I’ll call y’all when it’s done.”
          “Thanks, man.” Shade smiled, “I’d like to harvest what I need as soon as possible.” He turned and went with Gorgos behind their tent where the pair of bodies were.
          “Where’d you learn to cook?” Calie asked him before she took off.
          Walker smirked, “Wife couldn’t cook if her life depended on it and as a crime lord I had to host a lot of different races. I learned on the fly, and quickly became a master chef as well.”
          “You have a wife?” Calie was shocked. She had never heard of him having a wife before.
          Walker glanced over at her with pain in his eyes, “Now I like to cook to help keep my mind occupied.”
          Calie nodded respectfully at him, “I’m…”
          “Don’t worry about it, Callie.” Walker grimly told her, “You didn’t know because I don’t like to talk about it.” She sat there in silence staring at him, “I’ll call ya when the food is ready. Rede is waiting for you in the tent.”
          “For the record we did not have sex!” She said as she slowly stood up.
          “No, but that’s what you’re going to do now.” Walker chuckled as she stomped off towards hers and Rede’s tent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`



No comments:

Post a Comment